INVESTIGATION OF THE BLACKWOOD HOTEL
20th May 2008
The Blackwood Hotel, established in 1868 is the last remaining hotel that serviced miners on the Blackwood goldfields when some 13,000 miners populated the area. Reports tell of at least three ghosts; an old miner, Frederick a caretaker and Laura who apparently burnt to death on site. It is believed that during the gold rush period the cellar, like those of many hotels of the period, was used as a makeshift morgue. To further test some theories, the site was investigated during a full moon.
The team is grateful for the support of Tech Rentals who provided additional equipment, Margot Hitchcock from the Blackwood District Historical Society for assistance with research, and the current owners Peter and Lynne for allowing access to the site.
PANORAMA OF MARTIN STREET SHOWING THE BLACKWOOD HOTEL
Use mouse to move - and + to zoom in and out
At one point during the investigation a sudden increase in orb type objects was noted in the dining area. Although orbs rarely achieve a rating higher than "inconclusive", this particular sequence seemed exhibit some characteristics considered unusual.
The pictures below were also captured in the dining area on a digital camera using the nightshot infrared function. The first one shows a dark circular shadow anomaly near the painting above the fireplace. The second, taken 13 seconds later, reveals nothing.
The investigation was relatively quiet which gave the opportunity to examine "orb like objects" in greater detail in the report and explain why most are rated at or below "inconclusive". The report also contains information on the importance on synchronising all time based instruments and an in depth site history.
The official rating of the investigation was "inconclusive".